When you have a dog that gets anxious when you aren’t around, you may think your vacation options are limited to staycations and places where your dog will be welcome. The thought of dog boarding may make you feel even more nervous when this is the case. The good news is that there are some steps you can take that can make it easier for your anxious dog and let you enjoy your vacation without worry.
- Test Runs– Instead of dropping your dog off for dog boarding for the first time as you head out on a week-long vacation, test the waters with shorter intervals. With each successive short visit, your dog will become more comfortable with the reality that you will be returning and will get used to being with the people at the dog boarding facility.
- Expose to a Kennel– Exposing your dog to a kennel at home if they haven’t been in one before will help them feel more at ease when they face the dog boarding kennels. Don’t force them into the kennel. Just leave the door open and put some of their favorite things inside, and eventually they’ll become comfortable with going in and out of it.
- Bring Things From Home– When you take their toys, treats, favorite blanket, and food along, they’ll be more at ease. Too many new things can make even a calm dog feel anxious. Be sure to clear the items with the dog boarding facility, as some types of treats might not be allowed.
- Dual Boarding– If you have more than one dog, find a place where you can board them together. Being separated from you is hard enough, and taking them from their best buddy isn’t going to help matters.
- Consistency– Once you’ve found a dog boarding facility you and your dog like, keep using it, as the familiarity will help assuage your dog’s anxiety.
Here at Dogs By Andy K-9 Services, we want to help you enjoy a worry-free dog boarding experience. Whether it is your first time boarding your pet or your dog is an experienced pro, we will make sure their time with us is fun. Our year-round climate-controlled buildings ensure your pet stays comfortable and our state-of-the-art security system, 24-hour monitoring, and fire suppression and sprinkler system keeps them safe and secure. Your dog will get daily attention and TLC from our staff, a daily chew toy, daily treats, and access to indoor and outdoor play areas. Contact us today with any questions you may have.